Thursday, April 3, 2014

Baking, Facials and more!

I love Thursdays. Its the first day of the week I have no commitments....besides work. Although, this usually turns into a midweek date night so instead I become a recluse on the weekends.  Six of one, half dozen of the other. Speaking of half dozen... I decided to bake some bread tonight. I've had a gluten free bread mix chillin' in the cupboard for quite a while now and it's either bake or go running. Guess which I chose? 
BAKE!!!!

You're asking, "Where is the half dozen is relevant?", right? Ha. If I were you, I would have asked, "What would possess you to want to go running?!?!" 

I arrived home from work eagerly greeted by my neighbor kids and almost [and by almost I mean 1 3/4 inches away from] smashing the scooter they left in the alley. Then Haley caught sight of me and came running up the alley screaming my name over and over at the top of her lungs. I'm not exaggerating in the least. I could hear her loud and clear, with my windows up. She's such a doll!

After spending a bit of time on the porch with them I retreated inside. As usual, I immediately put on my oversized sweatpants and hoodie and then found myself in the kitchen. I don't normally make coffee in the afternoon, but I skipped it this morning and so it was calling to me. The coffee wasn't enough. I wanted more. 

This is where the idea to make bread came in. I even followed the directions - to a "T"**, and the bread did everything it said it would... so far. I get nervous when I bake because my oven bakes hot, and theres nothing worse than burning the baked goods! ugh! Now I wait.

I've taken a few peaks at it and it looks so yummy! The loaf is HUGE! In the process of mixing the ingredients, I had to use nearly half a dozen eggs - mostly egg whites. So here I am, [not being one to waste] wondering what am I going to do with these left over egg yokes.

So after doing a little research, here are some great uses for left over egg yokes:

"Rich in fats and proteins, an egg’s yolk is naturally moisturizing and nourishing, which can make your hair less prone to breakage. Use a half-cup of your leftover egg yolks (6 to 7 yolks), beat until creamy, and apply to clean, damp hair. Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes, then rinse with cool water. You can use this deep conditioning treatment about once a month for glossier locks." - Diana Kelly, www.rd.com 
Vanilla or chocolate or cinnamon chai or mocha chip or peanut butter or Boston cream are just a few of the flavors you can make with this Martha Stewart recipe. It looks so tasty and easy and most of the items you'll find tucked away in your cupboard or fridge.  
Typically you see egg facials made from egg whites, but that doesn't do me any good when those are in the bread. Egg yoke facials are still very beneficial by adding protein, vitamins A, B2, B3, and zinc to your skin. These nutrients add elasticity and moisture, treats inflammation, slows down aging and protects from other damaging causes. HealthMunsta shares 3 great facial recipes to choose how to nourish your pores!
Say whaaaaaat? Calling all artists to switch to egg white omelets JUST to try this out. Its called Tempera paint. Used in ancient Egypt and the Italian Renaissance era, this recipe of yokes and minerals create a unique, fast drying, long lasting medium to shed some light on your creativity skills!
Here are some other really unique and fantastic uses for eggs - white, yokes, and the shells! Most of these I'd never heard of and I'd bet you haven't either! 

And here is a picture of my bread.
**I thought I followed the instructions to a "T", but I did not. I misread the part about foiling the top after the bread was baking. I added it too late creating an air pocket in the center of my loaf. Thus explaining why it was so big in the oven. Lesson learned!

glutenfreeglutenfree

And here is a picture of my face - mid facial. 
greenface


.:: a far off britt::.

No comments:

Post a Comment