Monday, April 30, 2012

The Lawn? Mower

So like any day it's been sunny this year I do my best to make the most of the beautiful weather on my lunch break. Today, I came home quickly made my food and headed to my favorite spot to eat lunch and get away from it all. I don't like to be seen or watched where I am either so I always try and sneak out to this spot. It's like an open hideaway no one sees unless they're looking.
Well the neighbor across the street decided to mow his lawn just as I wanted to sneak out. Fail. I couldn't risk being spotted so I waited. In the meantime I scarfed down my food and chose the right moment of him turning his back to make my leap of faith!
Success!
I watch this man for a little while. I love being invisible, by the way. Have I mentioned this? Well I do! He mows the grass by the side walk and in front of the house and then I see him mowing the same place he did by the sidewalk. He continues to keep mowing the sidewalk! Back and forth until he reaches the street! I'm thinking this guy is out of his mind! Like, "uhh last I knew the grass wasn't growing on the sidewalk..."
Then I realize.. Focusing on just him, I thought he was nuts, but I didn't pay attention to what he was actually trying to achieve.
He was using the air from the mower blades to push the grass shavings off the sidewalk. An effort usually exhausted for the appearance of the property and the convenience of others. He finished clearing the sidewalk, turned off the engine, and walked it back to his shed out back.
Nice old man, he was.

I think there is a lesson to be learned of this.. I this we view God in this way. We watch Him at work and at times, it is very clear what he is trying to accomplish. But when He is using the same tool or piece of equipment for a purpose we're not accustomed, we think He's fallen off His rocker. We say "God, what are you doing?! Have you lost your mind??" until we step back and stop looking at the obvious and allow ourselves to realize what is being accomplished. Something bigger than mowing the grass.

For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8, 9 NKJV)


.::AFarOffBritt::.

No comments:

Post a Comment